History of the Washington
State Science & Engineering Fair
The Washington State Science and Engineering began as the Kitsap
County Science Fair in 1958. It was jointly sponsored by the
Bremerton PTA and Olympic College.
The fair was expanded to include
Mason and Jefferson counties in the 1970s. At that time
engineering was added and the name was changed to reflect that
In 1984 the Fair became the Western
Washington Science and Engineering Fair and was opened to all
students located within that geographical area.
During the decade of the 1980s the
decision was made to affiliate with the International Science
and Engineering Fair and was expanded to become the Washington
State Science and Engineering Fair with students from all over
the state participating.
Beginning in 1985, each year two
students from the fair have represented Washington State at the
International Science and Engineering Fair.
The Washington State Science and
Engineering Fair is a non-profit organization and is funded
solely by contributions and staffed by volunteers.